3.01.2011

! Yohji Yamanoto: Talking to myself


Yohji Yamamoto – Talking to myself
Yohji Yamamoto – Talking to myself

Yohji Yamamoto – Talking to myself

Yohji Yamamoto – Talking to myself

This man
He thirsts for what?
He gazes at what?
He has been struggling against what?

"Generally speaking, i am not interested in the future and don't believe in it. First, i guess it is true that i don't trust the future, but, more to the point, i don't even trust the "myself" of tomorrow. nor, for that matter, of the  day after. Basically, all i know, and all i am capable of understanding, is the "me" that is here, now, the "me" that has dragged his past with him to this point. So, to borrow a nest turn of phrase, you could say that people in the present are standing in a window on the past and on the future; you might say that they live their lives balancing themselves between these two sides. But, in my case, i want to get old quickly. i want to get it all over and done with. For me, all that exists ahead are endings; i have no conception of a future in which something might begin."
_____

“For some reason, I am moved by the female form, as seen from the side, or diagonally from behind. Like a feeling of waiting to chase after and restrain something that passes by, or passes through. You could call it a feeling of “missing” something. A lingering scent is the same. A kind of feeling of longing for something. There is always an adoration for women in me which resembles the temptation I have for things that have passed me by. And so I can only see a woman as someone who passes by, a person who disappears. Therefore the “Back” is important to me. I think clothes should be made from the back, and not the front. The back supports the clothes, and so if it is not properly made, the front cannot exist.

_____
Yamamoto, Yohji, Kiyokazu Washida, and Carla Sozzani. Talking to Myself. [Tokyo]: Steidi Verlag, 2002. Print.

沒有留言:

發佈留言